Soda Ash alkalinity agent is a granular powder form of sodium carbonate primarily used to condition and soften make-up water and to raise pH.
- Can eliminate calcium ions by converting to insoluble carbonate
- Can maximize the performance of bentonite and polymer products
- Treat out calcium hardness in make-up water
- Raise pH
Appearance: Variable-colored powder (white to gray)
pH of 5% solution: 11.5
Bulk Density, lb/ft³: 57-65
MIXING & HANDLING
- Hardness and pH levels of make-up water should be checked prior to addition of Soda Ash.
- When treating make-up water, pH ranges should be maintained between 8.5 – 9.5
- Addition of Soda Ash should always be done prior to addition of bentonite or polymer to the fluid system.
- Soda Ash alkalinity agent should not be added at the same time as other drilling fluid components.
- 1-2 pounds of Soda Ash alkalinity agent per 100 gallons of make-up water or 1.2-2.4 kilograms per cubic meter of make-up water.
- Use as required to remove calcium ions but do not add in excess as over treatment can lead to detrimental effects and reduced performance of the drilling fluid components and/or system.
- Mix slowly through a jet mixer or sift slowly into the vortex of a high speed stirrer.
PACKAGING & CONTROLS
Soda Ash is packaged in 50-lb (22.7 kg) or 100-lb (45.4 kg) multiwall paper bags.