THINNER AND DISPERSANT
BARAFOS non-glassy, modified polyphosphate is used as a thinner and dispersant in water-based drilling fluids and as an aid in water well development.
FEATURES & BENEFITS
- Dissolves and will not re-crystallize in cold water
- Lower pH than commonly available glassy polyphosphates
- Inorganic compound
The use of BARAFOS dispersant assists or promotes the following:
- Disperse clay and sediment for removal during well development
- Disperse reactive clays that cause mud rings and bit balling
- Thin the drilling mud and allow cuttings to settle out
Appearance: White crystalline
Specific gravity: 1.5
pH (2% solution): 7.4
MIXING & HANDLING
To aid in water well development:
- Determine volume of water in screen area and double the calculated volume to account for water in gravel pack and formation interface.
- Completely dissolve 10 – 20 pounds BARAFOS dispersant into 100 gallons water (12 – 24 kilograms per cubic meter). Jet and surge this solution through the screen and gravel pack during well development. Repeat as necessary. DO NOT add dry BARAFOS directly into the screen or gravel pack
To thin the drilling mud:
- Add 0.5 – 1 pound BARAFOS dispersant per 100 gallons of drilling fluid (0.6 – 1.2 kg/m³) slowly at the flow line. For best results, dissolve BARAFOS dispersant in a small quantity of water before adding.
- Product addition becomes less effective if mud weight exceeds 10 lb/gal (1.2 g/cm³).
PACKAGING & CONTROLS
BARAFOS is packaged in 50-lb (22.7-kg) multiwall paper bags.