FILTRATION CONTROL ADDITIVE
QUIK-TROL modified natural cellulosic polymer can provide filtration control in most water-based drilling fluids. QUIK-TROL additive, when added to a QUIK-GEL or BORE-GEL slurry, yields a drilling mud system suitable for drilling in sandy formation. QUIK-TROL additive can be added to vegetable or mineral oil to provide an oil-based fluid suspension, which can be poured into drill string directly. QUIK-TROL additive is also used in air/gel-foam drilling.
- NSF/ANSI Standard 60 certified
- Effective in fresh water, salt water and brackish water-based drilling fluids
- Effective in small quantities for filtration control
- Compatible with other Baroid drilling fluid additives
- Resistant to harsh environments and contaminants
- Can provide filtration control in fresh or brackish water-based drilling fluids
- Can promote borehole stability in water sensitive formations
- Can minimize rotational torque and circulating pressure
- Can improve hole cleaning and core recovery
- Can stiffen foam to improve cuttings transport in air/foam drilling
- Can reduce air requirements, uphole velocity and borehole annulus pressure in air/foam drilling.
Appearance: White, free-flowing powder
pH (1% aqueous solution): 8.0
MIXING & HANDLING
Using a Venturi Mixer, or into vortex of a high-speed stirrer, add slowly and uniformly to the entire circulating system.
|Approximate Amounts of QUIK-TROL filtration control additive Added to Water Based Fluids|
|Added to fresh or salt water||lb/100 gal||kg/m³|
|To help stabilize water sensitive formationTo help reduce torque and lower circulating pressure||3 – 50.5 – 1||4-70.6-1.0|
|Added to QUIK-GEL slurry (25 lb/100 gallons) or (30 kilograms per m³)||lb/100 gal||kg/m³|
|To help reduce filtration rate and improve borehole stability||0.5-1.0||0.6-1.7|
|Added to BORE-GEL slurry (35 lb/100 gallons) or (42 kilograms per m³)||lb/100 gal||kg/m³|
|To help reduce filtration rate and improve borehole stability||0.5-1.0||0.6-1.2|
|Added to injection liquid in air/foam drilling||lb/100 gal||kg/m³|
|To help improve foam performance and hole condition||0.5-1.5||0.6-1.7|
Note: Very salty waters may require twice as much QUIK-TROL polymer or filtration control additive as fresh water. Preferably, QUIK-TROL polymer or filtration control additive should be mixed in fresh water before it is added to very salty water.
PACKAGING & CONTROLS
QUIK-TROL filtration control additive is packaged in a 20-lb plastic can containing 10 airtight sealed plastic bags. Each bag contains 2-lb (0.91 kg). QUIK-TROL is also available in 40-lb plastic cans.