QUIK-GEL viscosifier is an easy-to-mix, finely ground (200-mesh), premium-grade, high-yielding Wyoming sodium bentonite. QUIK-GEL viscosifier imparts viscosity, fluid loss control and gelling characteristics to freshwater-based drilling fluids.
- NSF/ANSI Standard 60 certified
- Single-sack product and cost effective
- Can provide lubricity for drilling fluids
- Can mix easily and quickly reaches maximum viscosity
- Can yield more than twice as much mud of the same viscosity as an equal weight of API oilfield grades of bentonite
The use of QUIK-GEL viscosifier promotes or assists the following:
- Mix with fresh water to form a low-solids drilling fluid for general drilling applications
- Viscosify water-based drilling fluids
- Reduce filtration by forming a thin filter cake with low permeability
- Improve hole-cleaning capability of drilling fluids
- Mix with foaming agents to make “gel/foam” drilling fluids for air/foam drilling applications
Appearance: Grey to tan powder
Bulk density, lb/ft³: 68 to 72 (compacted)
pH (3% solution): 8.9
MIXING & HANDLING
Mix slowly through a jet mixer or sift slowly into the vortex of a high-speed stirrer.
|Approximate Amounts of QUIK-GEL viscosifier Added to Freshwater|
|Application/Desired Result||lb/100 gal||lb/bbl||kg/m³|
|Normal Drilling Conditions||15 – 25||6 – 10||18 – 30|
|Unconsolidated Formations||35 – 50||15 – 21||42 – 60|
|Make-Up For Gel/Foam Systems||12 – 15||5 – 7||14 – 18|
Note: 1 bbl = 42 U.S. gallons
For optimum yield, pre-treat make-up water with 1-2 pounds of soda ash per 100 gallons of water (1.2-2.4 kg/m³).
PACKAGING & CONTROLS
QUIK-GEL viscosifier is packaged in 50-lb (22.7-kg) multiwall paper bags.