EZ-MUD liquid polymer emulsion contains partially hydrolyzed polyacrylamide/polyacrylate (PHPA) copolymer and is used primarily as a borehole stabilizer to prevent reactive shale and clay from swelling and sloughing. EZ-MUD polymer emulsion is also added to low-solids drilling fluids to increase lubricity, fluid viscosity, and to improve carrying capacity of air/foam injection fluids.
- Mixes easily with minimum shear in fresh water
- Helps provide effective clay and shale stabilization with lower viscosity
- Helps impart high degree of lubricity
- Breaks down chemically with household bleach (sodium hypochlorite)
- NSF/ANSI Standard 60 Certified
The use of EZ-MUD liquid polymer assists or promotes the following:
- Stabilize reactive shale and clay formations
- Improve borehole stability
- Enhance slurry rheological properties
- Alleviate mud rings, bit balling and booting-off in clay formations
- Reduce drill pipe torque and pumping pressure
- Minimize rod chatter in diamond core drilling
- Create “stiff-foam” and maintain foam integrity
- Flocculate non-reactive solids in reserve pit at low concentrations
Appearance: Thick, opaque white liquid
Density: 8.5 lb/gal (1.02 g/cm³)
pH (1 quart per 100 gallons water): 8.5
Flash point, PMCC °F, °C: >200 (>93.3)
Thermal stability, °F, °C: 250 (121)
MIXING & HANDLING
|Approximate Amounts of EZ-MUD Polymer Added to Drilling Fluids|
|Added to Fresh Water (to formulate a clay-free drilling fluid)||Quarts/100 gal||Pints/bbl||Liters/m³|
|To stabilize reactive clay and shale||0.5-2.0||0.5-1.75||1.25-5.0|
|To retard rod vibration, reduce torque and pumping pressure||1.0-2.0||1.0-1.75||2.5-5.0|
|Added to QUIK-GEL or BORE-GEL Drilling Fluid or air/foam injection liquid||Quarts/100 gal||Pints/bbl||Liters/m³|
|To retard reactive shale and clay and enhance lubricity||0.5-1.0||0.5-1.0||1.25-2.5|
|To improve foam performance and hole conditions||0.5-1.0||0.5-1.0||1.25-2.5|
- Make-up water used to mix EZ-MUD liquid polymer should meet the following quality: total chloride less than 1500 ppm (mg/L) total hardness less than 150 ppm as calcium total chlorine less than 50 ppm water pH between 8.5-9.5
- Reduce total hardness of make-up water by adding soda ash (sodium carbonate) at 0.5 to 1 pound per 100 gallons (0.6 – 1.2 kg/m3 ) of make-up water.
- EZ-MUD liquid polymer can be chemically broken down with liquid bleach in regular household concentration (5% sodium hypochlorite). Use one gallon of liquid bleach per 100 gallons (10 liters/m³) of fluid formulated with EZ-MUD liquid polymer. Do not use perfumed liquid bleach or solid calcium hypochlorite.
PACKAGING & CONTROLS
EZ-MUD liquid polymer is packaged in 5-gal (19-liter) and 1-gal (3.8-liter) plastic containers.